Our Facilities

Eliza Street, Newtown

The HRI’s headquarters are located in a purpose-built facility on Eliza Street in Newtown, designed to support cutting edge research into cardiovascular disease. Opened in 2009 by Australia’s then Governor General Quentin Bryce, the building provided unrivalled scope for cutting edge research and further expanded our capabilities. The laboratories – split over two levels – provide research space for more than 150 scientific staff. The HRI is housed in the 1931 Telephone Exchange with the original façade preserved and the interior converted into a state-of-the-art research facility.
 

Charles Perkins Centre

Opened in 2015 in the heart of the University of Sydney, the mission of the Charles Perkins Centre (CPC) is to ease the burden of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The HRI has taken a leadership role in this endeavour by driving the ‘cardiovascular node’ of the Charles Perkins Centre – led by the HRI’s Director of Cardiovascular Research Professor Shaun Jackson.

“One of the really special things about the Charles Perkins Centre is it’s been created as an inspiring environment where scholars can come together from all sorts of different disciplines.”

- Professor Jill Trewhella, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Research, University of Sydney