Applications are now open for this exciting opportunity for candidates considering a career in medical research, including the pursuit of doctoral studies.
The position offers up to 12-months’ paid work placement at HRI’s state-of-the-art laboratories in Sydney, Australia as a Research Assistant. This fantastic program ensures you will receive training and full mentorship in groundbreaking cardiovascular disease research, as well as the opportunity to build your career profile towards a PhD.
In addition to the benefits of working at an internationally recognised medical research institute, the program pays approximately AUD$70,000 plus superannuation contributions for the first year, plus the opportunity to extend your stay and complete a PhD with the HRI. You can kick off your experience with HRI at any point in the year, with access to a wide range of research projects in which to build your skills. It also includes a paid return flight from New Zealand and two weeks of accommodation assistance upon initial arrival in Sydney.
Please indicate which Research Group you would be interested in joining during your placement, otherwise you will be allocated to a group. Read more about our Research Groups here.
- You must be a New Zealand citizen to qualify for this opportunity.
- You must meet eligibility requirements for The University of Sydney’s higher degree by research PhD as outlined here.
- You must commit to HRI values and responsibilities.
- You will need to attend an interview via Skype or face-to-face.
- You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start of the placement period.
Note: This is a Category A position according to the NSW Health Policy - Occupational Assessment, Screening Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases. The successful applicant will be required to provide evidence of protection against the infectious diseases specified, at their own cost, prior to appointment.
Please complete the form below and attach your application document. Please apply as soon as possible, as this job ad will close once a sufficient number of suitable applications has been received.
Applications must include:
- a one-page cover letter outlining your reasons for applying, your interests in research and which Research Group you would like to join
- your academic record
- a copy of your passport photo page or residency document
- your CV including referees (a summary of your work experience and other relevant activities).
Please submit your application all together as ONE PDF document, using the following naming convention: lastname_firstname_2022.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Due to the volume of applications expected, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Heart Research Institute supports Equal Employment Opportunity. We value diversity and encourage applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, people with disability, LGBTQI individuals and applicants of diverse cultures and ages.