Requests for refunds can be made in writing through post or email or by calling our donor support line. You can find our contact information here.
The request should have the details of the initial donation including the date, amount, name of the donor and the reason for requesting the refund.
If there is an error in relation to a tax invoice that was issued, the invoice stating the incorrect amount immediately becomes void and invalid, and a new tax invoice will be issued for the amount of the corrected donation.
Refunds of the amount donated will not automatically be made simply because donors have changed their mind. Making a tax-deductible donation constitutes a legally binding agreement to give funds to HRI to fulfil its charitable commitments under its Constitution as a registered charity and in doing so, HRI proceeds to apply such donated funds towards scientific research.
Therefore, it is HRI policy not to refund donations made unless one of the following circumstances has occurred:
1. An error has been made by HRI or its financial institution; or
2. A donor's banking details are fraudulently obtained and used to make donations; or
3. HRI has received a donor's details and donation without the donor’s consent; or
4. A donor has previously requested that regular debits be cancelled, however the debits have continued. The refund will be to the maximum of the last debit amount unless a donor can provide written proof of the original cancellation request; or
5. A contravention of the Australian Consumer Law or other relevant law can be proven; or
6. Financial hardship – an approved refund will be to the maximum amount of the last regular debit amount, not the total amount of all contributions made by that particular donor. For a one-off donation, the donor must request the refund within 5 business days of making the one-off donation.
If a donor is not satisfied with the outcome of the decision not to refund, a further request can be escalated to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to resolve the issue.
If it is agreed that a refund is to be made, the donor will be refunded the agreed amount to the bank account or payment card initially used to make the donation within ten (10) working days of the decision. HRI reminds donors who receive a refund on their donation to ensure they seek accounting advice in relation to their taxation obligations.